Report is below courtesy of James Spence

Wells First XV travelled to West London to play Hammersmith and Fulham RFC in an inaugural meeting of the two clubs. Our President was well looked after at the lunch by all accounts and was impeccably behaved! The welcome was friendly and the pitch was firm but greasy and the match played in mostly dry conditions (after earlier heavy rain), much to everyone’s delight, including the travelling WAGS who were in full voice and were well stocked with provisions!

A scrappy start from the St Marks lads and H&F scored two kick through tries courtesy of their wily No. 10. who was a clever operator all match long. Two Archie Warren penalties and the game was an even contest, score 12-6 midway through first half. Wells then dominated the final 15 mins of the half and after a Yellow Card for the H&F winger for an infringement at the breakdown, it was only a matter of time so it seemed and sure enough Big Dave Thornton crashed over from close range, conversion good, 12-13.  The H&F coach delivered a few choice words behind the posts to his charges and the Ref blew for HT.

The teams re-emerged, Wells now down slope and breeze, confidence high. That feeling lasted 15 seconds after a dropped restart a couple of passes and a gift of a try to H&F, conversion missed 17-13. Wells emptied our considerable bench, a strength of the squad this year, however, this was quickly followed by an Ali Main yellow card for a high tackle and the game was in the balance. The Wells Scrum and line out continued its superiority and through the phases Anthony Storkey on the shoulder as always scores under the posts – 17-20. Ali Main came back on, but a dropped ball midfield led to a H&F walk in! Converted 24-20.

Wells then took control of the game through the forwards and after many carries from all the lads Big Dave was there again, conversion good 24-27. Surely that was that with 6 mins to play.  Wells on top camped in H&F territory. Then, one offload too many and the H&F winger intercepted the pass and galloped clear to score a dramatic winner for the home faithful? – unbelievable!  Now it was Jervos turn to be heard amongst the West London mansions! This WELLS team has spirit and with the clock running down, kicked to the corner after a H&F conceded penalty and through the phases and up the jumper rugby, saw Dave Thornton go over for his hat trick and the winning score. Archie Warren 100% from the tee 31-34. Time just for a restart but the game was up and the Wells faithful breathed a sigh of relief. A game we could have won by 20, but equally could have easily lost.

A “never give in” attitude got the boys through in the end, a game that was won and lost many times over by both sides. Next week is a rest week. Saturday 4th November sees us welcome London Welsh to St. Mark’s.  COYW!!

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *